Are you looking for some of the best ways to save money on car insurance. It may seem like a daunting task, but we were able to save more than $1,000 a year on our car insurance.
At the end of last year my husband and I took a close look at all of our monthly bills to figure out how we could continue to lower our monthly expenses. Normally when we do this we find simple ways to save money in our budget like cutting out luxury items and not eating at restaurants as often.
This time we tackled our larger expenses. One of the bigger ones included our car insurance. This had been something that I wanted to do for quite some time but I just kept putting it off. I probably wrote it down on my to-do list over 100 times. It just seemed like a lot of work to take the time to lower the amount of money we paid out in car insurance. Honestly, it was one of the best things I have done.
I was always complaining about how much we paid out in car insurance but I never took the time to do anything about. Once we became proactive in lowering this bill we were able to see that it was possible to save money. We were able to save over $1,200 a year!
During this process, I learned two things. One, we were definitely over paying for car insurance, and two, with a little bit of work we could cut out bill in half. Now, you may not have the same results we did, but you may be surprised with how much money you can save each month on this necessary expense.
So, I made a list below of some of the best ways to save money on car insurance. You may have even tried a few. My mistake was I had heard of these ways from family and friends but I never actually tried to implement them. I recommend taking the time to evaluate each of them to see if you are able to utilize the tip to help yourself save money on car insurance.
Best Ways to Save Money on Car Insurance:
1. Do not just go with the first company you come across. Even though it may seem like you are getting a deal you will not really know until you compare quotes from other insurance companies.
This was one of the mistakes we made. When we got married, my husband and I just continued to use his agency without taking the time to see if they were giving us the best possible price. Once we started actively trying to lower our yearly car insurance bills we were able to find a company that offered the same coverage for about $500 less.
At first, it was heartbreaking to see this. I was shocked to know that for years we were paying $500 more than we needed to.
Try making a list and writing down what each company has to offer. We had a hard time making a claim because it was all done over the phone. Once we switched we were able to meet with our agent face to face, which made things much easier.
2. Combine policies. This was a game changer for us. We were using a different company for our car insurance and homeowners insurance. Once we combined the two we saved a significant amount of money. It was crazy to think of how much money we lost by having these two policies separate.
Our insurance company offers a discount for using their agency for both of our insurance policies. This alone saved us a few hundred dollars a year.
3. If you do not drive a lot, you can try contacting your car insurance company see if they offer mileage discounts. Most companies will give you a discounted rate if you stay under a certain milage a month or even per year. The less you drive the less you are at risk of having an accident.
We were able to save a little bit of money by contacting our new insurance company. We have a primary vehicle on our policy and then a second vehicle that is only used for work and has low miles so we receive a monthly discount for it.
4. Although this seems very obvious, you need to be a safe driver. It has a huge effect on how much money you can save on car insurance. Our company offers discounts and bonuses for each year that we go without any accidents or violations.
5. Reviewing your policy for any new discounts and possible ways to save is always good to do on yearly basis. If you have a teen driver you may be eligible to receive a discount for having a good report card or any other specials your company has to offer.
Look over your coverage and deductible. Even though increasing your deductible will cost you more when you make it a claim it is an easy way to save money now. I recommend taking the time to figure out how much money you can save by making a small increase to your deductible. Look at the price difference and add it up over a year or two to see if it is beneficial.
Saving money on car insurance may seem impossible, but it really isn’t. My husband and I spent some time figuring out what we could do to save money and were able to cut our expense in half. Even though it is not fun it is totally worth doing.
What do you do to save money on car insurance, please leave a comment below!