This is a delicious Veggie Calzone recipe that you will definitely want to try. This is a great recipe to use for vegetarians and you can add any vegetables that you and your family like to eat.
Veggie Calzone Recipe
Veggie Calzone Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound button mushrooms, chopped 1 bunch spinach, trimmed and rinsed 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and chopped 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large pizza dough (1.5-2 pounds)* You can either make your own dough or get pre-made dough
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
Veggie Calzone Directions:
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees. Cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray a pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and add mushrooms, onion and bell pepper. Cook until soft, approximately 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Transfer vegetables to several paper towels and blot them until they are dry.
- If you are using store bought dough, follow the directions on the packaging for baking time. Divide the pizza dough into two even pieces. Flour a large surface and a rolling pin. Roll each piece of the dough into a large circle ½ inch thick. Sprinkle ½ cup mozzarella cheese over ½ of each pizza dough. Spread ½ the veggies evenly between the two doughs. Drop spoonfuls of the ricotta cheese evenly over the veggies of the two calzones. Top with the remaining veggies and cheese. Sprinkle with dried basil. Fold the empty side of the dough over, securing edges by folding in and pressing with a fork. Brush the egg wash over the dough and sprinkle the dried oregano over each calzone. Vent each calzone by cutting a 1” slit in the top of the dough.
- Transfer the calzones to the baking sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes or until evenly brown. Each calzone is two servings.
You can also try our BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches , Asian Chicken and Peppers, Shrimp Cobb Salad and Black Bean Soup recipes. Make sure you checkout the Frugal Fanatic Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for even more DIY projects, recipes, saving money tips and more.