Thank you to our reader, Pam, for this great article on money saving tips for the holidays!
The holidays are a time to share with family and friends, not a time to overspend and get yourself in debt. Take a look at these money saving tips for the holiday season and make the holidays special without breaking the bank!
Money Saving Tips for the Holidays:
1. Make a list of who you are buying gifts for and set a budget for each person. Make sure you stick to this budget.
2. Pay with cash. If you must use a credit card, don’t charge more than you can pay off within a month.
3. Instead of shopping right before the holidays, shop all year. When you see something on sale that would be great for someone on your list, buy it and put it away till the holidays are here.
4. Don’t just buy from anywhere. Compare prices offered by different stores before buying and also check online retailers. Be sure to pay attention to store ads so that you get an idea of the best prices for items you are looking to purchase.
5. Make homemade gifts and save a ton. Homemade cakes, cookies, jams, pickled veggies, infused oils and infused vodka make wonderful gifts.
6. Instead of buying a gift for everyone, get together with a group, put all names in a hat and have each person draw a name. Whoever they get, that is who they buy a gift for. Everyone gets to save this way. Instead of buying five gifts you are only purchasing one.
7. Choose gifts that you can buy in bulk. This is a great idea if you have a few people on your list that may like the same items.
Remember, it’s the thought that really counts, not the amount of money you spend. The best part of the holidays is spending time with loved ones and enjoying the holiday spirit. So, use some of our money saving tips for the holiday season and have a wonderful, frugal holiday!