I love making a big pot of soup and this chicken tortilla soup recipe is delicious. You can modify the recipe to taste. Below you will find all the ingredients you need along with step-by-step directions.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
No matter how many time I try to like avocado I just cannot do it. I wish I liked it because I know they are good for you and are used in many different recipes. I have included the avocado in the recipe as an optional ingredient.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients:
- 1 pound chicken tenders, diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium sized zucchini squash, quartered and sliced
- 1 medium sized yellow squash, quartered and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups lightly crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup Monterrey jack cheese, shredded 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
Chicken Tortilla Soup Directions:
- Sauté onion and celery with 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium high in a large soup pot. Once veggies are soft, pour chicken stock into the pot and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and stir for 6-7 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, cumin, garlic powder, chile pepper, salt, black pepper and tomatoes. Simmer for 1 hour. Add zucchini squash and yellow squash and simmer for 30 more minutes.
- Divide tortilla chips evenly between 4 soup bowls.
- Ladle soup over chips and top with fresh squeezed lime, cilantro, avocado and cheese.
Here are some other great recipes to try:
Have you ever made chicken tortilla soup, please share what other ingredients you add in the comments below.