If you are searching for ideas on how to save money in your home then you have come to the right place. I love finding small ways that I can save money in our home that add up to make a big difference. It is very satisfying to know that I can save a few bucks here and there doing little tasks around our home.
With the rising costs of living it is very difficult trying to build a savings account because of how much we pay out in bills each month. I feel like all we do is spend, spend, spend. But, I have found a fews ideas on how to save money in your home that can help you cut the costs each month, and hopefully have some extra money after your bills have been paid.
5 Ideas on How to Save Money in Your Home
1. Save money by making your own cleaning products. Household cleaners are expensive. There are a TON of different ways that you can cut the costs of cleaning products without having to sacrifice the quality. Buy a big jug of white vinegar and use it to clean pretty much everything from the kitchen floor to the bathtub. A mixture of olive oil, vinegar, water and essential oils are great to clean a wood floor. Here is a really cool site that lists a bunch of all-natural homemade recipes for cleaning products that you can use around you house.
2. Since you are going to be saving money by making cleaning products you might as well save on laundry detergent too. Did you know that you can make your own laundry detergent and dishwasher soap? You can make large batches of these products for a fraction of what they cost in the store. I have made my own laundry detergent in the past and was shockingly surprised at how well it worked! By making it at home you can cut the cost down to $0.04 per load. Stop paying retail prices to put more money in your pocket.
3. Cancel your cable and subscribe to Netflix instead. You will always find something to watch so you won’t miss your favorite shows and it saves a lot of money! The monthly cost for this subscription service is $8.99. This may be a really hard one to execute, but think about the shows you watch on a daily basis. Many of them can be viewed online. Cable can cost upwards of $250 a month if you have movie channels so canceling this service can really help you to save money in your home.
4. Shop generic and store brands when buying things your family uses everyday. Buying generic usually saves at least 2 or 3 dollars over buying the name brand. You may already be doing this when you are grocery shopping, but really look at the items you purchase during your next trip and think about which items are not necessary or which ones you can switch to a generic brand. A lot of people are brand loyal when it comes to food, but give the generic brand a chance. We have found in some case we have preferred the generic brand over the name brand items!
5. Don’t spend loose change. This ideas is one of my favorites because it always has a high pay-out at the end of the month. Every time you have any change set it into a jar or someplace special so that you will not touch it. Imagine if you saved only $0.50 a day. That would be more than $180 a year. If you are someone who never carries cash then this option may not apply to you, but I do urge you to consider using cash on a daily basis. Not only does it help you to stick to a budget, but it also prevents overspending and impulse purchases.
Try using some of my ideas on how to save money in your home and watch your savings grow. You will be amazed by just how much you can save in your home without taking away from your quality of life and the things that you enjoy. Small changes really do add up.
I love hearing your ideas! Do you have any tips on how to save money in your home, please share in the comments below.