If you are traveling with kids make sure you take a look at some of our tips below to help make your trip easier.
The idea of traveling with kids scares some parents when they start thinking about all the stuff they will have to pack and the headache that will ensue as a result. The truth is that there will be some headaches if the kids get bored and grow restless because they have been confined too long, but the good news is that you can avoid those headaches by following a few simple tips to make traveling with kids a breeze.
Tips for Traveling with Kids:
1. Always plan extra time into your trip. If you are traveling by car, this is the number one tip you need to keep in mind. Kids do not like to sit for long periods of time and they will start fussing and, if you have more than one kid, they will probably start fighting at some point. Plan enough time into your trip that you can make several stops along the way to your destination, even if it is just at a rest stop or a gas station, but it would be better if you can find a park or a playground or something fun for the kids to do for a bit. This will allow everyone to get out of the car and stretch their legs, make trips to the restroom, and get a little change of scenery as well, and if you got lucky enough to find a playground, the kids can run off some steam, too.
2. Pack plenty of things to entertain the kids on the way like coloring books, books to read, toys to play with, maybe even a handheld game or a tablet for them to play on or watch videos. If the kids are happy, mom and dad will be happy, too. Take a look at our kids activity kits that you can make for your children.
3. Pack plenty of snacks. Even though you should make stops along the way, at which point you can grab a bite to eat, keep small snacks in your bag for kids to munch on between stops. Snacks like crackers, dry cereal, fruit snacks, grapes or apples, and pack a few juice boxes as well.
4. Have first aid supplies handy and include things like baby wipes, hand sanitizer, insect repellant, and plastic bags in case someone gets car sick. Along with this, you should also have at least one change of clothes handy and not buried in the back of the car in your luggage in case someone has an accident or gets sick.
5. Make the kids comfortable. Let them bring their favorite lightweight blanket and a small pillow so they can take a nap if they want. Kids usually have a tendency to fall asleep during long car rides anyway, so if they have their blanket and pillow they will be more comfortable.
6. Play road games. Kids love playing games, and they are a great way to pass the time. It will also give you the opportunity to spend a little fun time with the kids while you are stuck in the car.
7. If your children are young it may be in your best interest to pack a potty seat in the back of your car. This can help prevent having accidents in the car and will help alleviate some stress of having to find a rest stop as quick as possible.
We love hearing from you. Do you have any tips for traveling with kids, please share in the comments below.